You’re never too old for back to school activities. Are you ready for the indie professional learning checklist?
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other. ~ John F Kennedy
It’s true. I forget sometimes, not everyone has a love of learning. To me it’s part of my planning process. It may not be for you. That’s why this checklist is so important.
There’s a difference between learning from day-to-day life events as they happen, and seeking knowledge in a systematic way. One is reactive, the other proactive. Both are important. One helps you grow slowly, the other helps you leap.
To stay relevant – you need to leap.
If you’re in business for yourself, it’s important to continually learn and grow. Without a systematic strategy to add to your knowledge, you dramatically increase the chance you will become disengaged in your work or worse irrelevant in your role or in the market. I know you don’t want that!
The Indie Professional (Back to School) Learning Checklist.
The key for indie professionals is to maximize your time. You’re wearing many hats and juggling all the roles within your business. That’s where this 4 step checklist comes in handy. It will guide you in systematically adding to your knowledge.
1. Commit: How much time are you willing to devote to staying relevant and engaged?
2. Identify: What are your key learning needs? Start with these:
- What’s required to maintain your professional certifications?
- Should you take your craft to the next level?
- Would increasing business operations skills (technology, processes, finance) benefit your business?
- Is learning more about sales & marketing a good investment?
- What skills would enhance all other areas (communication, emotional intelligence)?
3. Prioritize: Identify non-negotiable learning items such as maintaining certifications. Then prioritize the remaining based upon your success/business goals.
4. Act: Create and execute the first learning priority. What is the very first step to make the first priority a reality? Buy a book? Sign up for a course? Whatever it is – do it now!
Not everything appears in a simple checklist. That’s why many indie professionals bring in a trusted advisor (like a coach). As your trusted advisor, I will help you commit, identify, prioritize, and take action. Let’s work together.
It’s important to me that you keep growing and learning. It’s what’s going to help you get your brilliance into the world!
Learning and innovation go hand in hand. The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow. ~ William Pollard